Lot n° 4
6000 - 8000
Result without fees
: 22 000EUR
BANVILLE / MANET (1833-1892) / ROCHEGROSSE.
Le Baiser Comédie . Unique copy with a drawing signed by Edouard Manet and the original drawings by Rochegrosse in the text of the proofs. Magnificent full red morocco binding lined by Marius Michel.
Detail of the pieces
- An ink drawing by Edouard Manet signed with his initials around 1874 on cream squared paper, out of a notebook, 18.2 by 11.7 cm. Washed ink and white gouache highlights. Laminated on a strong paper. This drawing, of which several variants are known, served as inspiration for the Portrait of Banville engraved with etching known as "Le rêve du marin".
- A letter from Banville addressed to Monsieur Philippe de Saint Albin, private librarian to the Empress Eugénie
- A letter from Victor Hugo dated 20 December 1867 addressed to Banville. He praised the Odes published in the Charivari and sent him the Voice of Guernsey (Hugo's complete works, National Printing Office, Correspondence T3 p.95)
- Two photographs of the actors of the first performance, attached to their letters, Coquelin Cadet and Suzanne Reichenberg.
- An ink drawing by Edouard Manet signed E.M. around 1874 on cream squared paper, from a notebook, 18.2 by 11.7 cm. Washed ink and white gouache highlights. Laminated on a strong paper. This drawing, of which several variants are known, served as inspiration for the etching Portrait of Banville known as "Le rêve du marin".
- The corrected proof of the text.
- A corrected china print.
- A third set of proofs on strong paper.
- The original manuscript of the score of the Chœur des fées composed for Le Baiser, signed and dated Paul Vidal 15 November 1887, with a copy sent to Arthur Meyer.
Return to catalogue